Friday, January 22, 2010

Is Masters of Horror Really That Masterful?


I've been familiar with the "Masters of Horror" series for at least a couple years now, but I have yet to watch one of the films. Based on reviews from Flixster and amazon.com I don't think it would be worth my time.

The films in the "Masters of Horror" series are basically low-budget or indie horror movies done by different directors. Directors from different countries, ethnicity, whatever, they all contributed to the series. These aren't some no-name directors either, Tobe Hooper, Dario Argento and John Carpenter have all pitched in to create (apparently) something that is worth the time and effort.

With films such as "Unearthed," "Jenifer," and "Pro-life" it seems the series is quite a mixed bag. "Unearthed" is your basic "Tremors" story about ancient creatures that come up from the ground to eat people, "Jenifer" seems semi original, but pretty strange if you ask me. Finally, "Pro-Life" sounds to me like a weak attempt to argue with abortion rights. Sure I'm just picking on the ones I've heard of, but what do you want from me?

"Masters of Horror" came into my mind because I was flipping through the Instant Watch movies on my Netflix and I caught a glimpse of them. Judging by the ratings other viewers gave it, I have to say that maybe Masters of Horror isn't that great. I'm not entirely sure though.

What do you guys think? Have you seen any of the Masters of Horror movies? If so, which ones are good ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment